Monday, November 23, 2009

Spent most of today on a gorgeous but very long (6 hour) winding bus trip through the mountains of northern Thailand to get to the Lao border crossing. JFK customs it is not: a man under a tent on the river beach stamps your passport, you hike through sand to climb aboard a skinny wooden boat, and you get shuttled across the river where on the opposite beach you pay $35 and climb on up to Laos. Apparently liquids and Al Queda are not a problem over here.

The town is among the most poor I have ever been in, save a few real outposts in Ecuador: fighting roosters, random bonfires in the street, and a handful of slightly alarmed looking white people staying overnight so we can get the slowboat down the Mekong tomorrow morning. It wasn't a great first impression but the sun has started to set over the river and it is undeniably breathtakingly beautiful. Also, I have the Red Cross heating up their herbal sauna for me ($1 and it smells delicious!) though without a giant wooden spoon I don't know how I'll splash cold water on myself.

This is likely my last post for about two days as I don't think the Mekong has wireless.


4 comments:

Toby said...

You'll finally appreciate "Apocalypse Now."

Sylvia Gardner said...

"...don't think the Mekong has wireless."
you may be surprised - the places in this world I found wireles at.
Great stories again, what a trip - makes you want to pack up and go...

Unknown said...

Joey eat your kernel corn!!!!!!!

kirsten said...

i told you. the spoon!!! damnit the spoon.