Tuesday, November 17, 2009
The Beijing airport is utopian
Around this time tomorrow I will be on Air China 982 to Beijing, with a 1 hour layover before flying on to Bangkok. Coming back I have a 6 hour layover in Beijing, which I am quite excited about - like my friend Zelimir I am a huge fan of international airports. I love that strange experience of narrowly being in a country that you are not otherwise visiting. Of course, some airports turn out to be disappointments - I venture to say that I never again need extra time in the Bogota airport . Aqueduct Racetrack has more amenities, and more toilet paper. But happily, in researching the Beijing airport I learned that Terminal 3 alone (the terminal I fly into) is as large as all five of Heathrow's terminals combined, with another 17% to spare, including a "global market" with 72 stores. Abacus users will know that gives me a mere 5 minutes per store on my layover, so I'll have to move briskly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wait, when were we in Bogota?
On the way in and out of Quito! Remember the concession stand selling only gum and chapstick?
um excuse me but what more do you need in life than gum and chapstick?? also agreement re: international airports. YAAAY beginnings of a most excellent adventure!!! sending lots of xoxooxoxxo across the miles!! love you sister!!!!!
Yay!! Off you go with gum and chapstick!
http://www.spotlight-online.de/news/people/philosopher-spends-a-week-in-heathrow-airport
http://www.harpers.org/archive/1995/08/0002153
Post a Comment